The Islamic Society of Greater Salt Lake (ISGSL) is looking for a full time Imam with leadership skills, life experience and vision to provide religious guidance to the Muslim community of Greater Salt Lake, UT. In addition to regular religious duties, the imam is expected to promote educational programs with an emphasis on strengthening family and community values.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead daily and special prayer services such as the following:
- Work with (ISGSL) board, designated resources and youth director to develop, promote and lead programs that foster religious literacy and maximize masjid attendance.
- Provide Quran, Tafseer, Hadith, Seerah and Fiqh lessons (including Q&A), and other Islamic topics to increase knowledge and spiritual growth of community members.
- Provide structured guidance and lead educational and outreach programs for new Muslims.
- Serve as an advisor to the Sunday school program as well as teach Monday-Wednesday evenings.
- Work with Salt Lake area religious leaders of all faiths to promote good intra and interfaith cooperation and mutual understanding.
- Advise the board on religious matters, community issues, and other activities, as needed.
- Maintain regular and convenient office hours at the Masjid for community members to seek religious counsel and guidance.
- Work with (ISGSL) board and designated resources on fundraising programs, as needed.
- Conduct matrimonial services.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Islamic Studies or related field from a higher education institution.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Islamic creed, hadith and sunnah with the ability to apply it within an American context.
- Quran recitation with proper Tajweed, including memorization of a significant portion of the Quran.
- Effective public speaking skills and ability to deliver sermons/lectures to various audience levels.
- Good interpersonal and effective teaching skills.
- Native spoken/written fluency in English and general fluency in classical Arabic.
- Proven ability to lead and work with multicultural communities and varying age groups.
- Minimum of 3-years of experience as a full-time imam in an established masjid or Islamic institution in North America.
- Authorized to work in the United States; visa sponsorship will not be provided for this position.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Hafiz Al Quran with outstanding recitation (Qiraah)
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive compensation is commensurate with education and experience.